Despite what you’d imagine upon arriving in this sleepy backwater, you can eat very well whilst staying in El Cuyo. The town is making a name for itself for it’s gastronomic offerings (along with everything else it has to offer).
There are several restaurants, two cafés, a pizzeria and number of loncherias and food stalls – detailed below. It’s not a huge huge selection, but it’s sufficient (and more importantly – tasty!!).
One other point worth mentioning – at weekends food stalls sell local pork specialities….
Lechon (pulled pork) is sold every Sunday in a stall opposite La Conchita, and the locals queue up for it. Get there before 10:30am or they’re likely to have sold out…
The Yucatan regional dish ‘Cochinita Pibil’ (pork served in a sauce made from annatto, bitter orange and garlic) is also served in stalls on the main street on Saturdays and Sundays.
- El Chile Gordo – Open Friday-Monday from 5.30pm-9.30pm (daily over Christmas period 20th Dec 2019 – 1st Jan 2020). Comes highly recommended and serves contemporary Mexican food in a beautifully rustic setting. Get a free moto taxi pick up service from your accommodation to the restaurant if the booking is made before opening time. Take out and catering services available. See trip advisor for customer reviews.
- Valerio’s – Open from 11am – 9pm (closed Tuesdays). On Saturdays, Bar Tolok on the top floor is open from 8pm till 3am (snack menu available). Valerio’s specialises in fish and seafood – the breaded shrimps are my personal favourite!
- Casa Cielo – Reservation recommended as hotel guests get priority. The restaurant terrace of this boutique hotel overlooks the beach and has a gourmet fusion menu (plus pizza and basics).
- El Tiburon – Open daily 12-1pm and 5-6 pm (but will stay open longer/shorter if there are customers). They have no set menu, but serve what’s been freshly caught. The ceviche is highly recommended – and everything is great value! See reviews from tripadvisor
- La Conchita – Open daily from 8am – 9pm. La Conchita is the most established seafood restaurant in El Cuyo. It’s just off the main square with seating inside and out and cute palapas so you can keep out of the sun. See reviews from tripadvisor
- Restaurant Miramar – Open from 8am – 5pm (Closed Tuesdays). Serves a more varied menu, but specialises in shrimps and fish, and serves a good fried fresh fish with rice. See reviews from tripadvisor.
- Luma – Open daily from 8-10am and 6-9pm. The restaurant is within the hotelito ‘LunArena’ at the very eastern end of El Cuyo. It serves international food with an Italian influence.
- Casa Palma – Open 6-10pm (Closed Mondays and Tuesdays). Serving pizzas cooked in a wood oven, homemade pastas, Argentinian empanadas and artesenal icecream – all in a lovely relaxed beach setting. Christmas 2019 opening Tues 24th-29th Dec. Closed 29th Dec-2nd Jan
- Casa Cuyo – Open 8am-2pm & 6-9pm (Closed Wednesdays). Serving breakfasts of gnocchi, hamburgers and vegan burgers. House specialities are homemade bread in sandwiches and with pasta. See reviews and high/low season opening times on tripadvisor.
- Naia Café – Open daily from 8am, and closes at 2pm weekdays or 5pm weekends. Naia gets fab reviews and serves beautiful breakfasts, a selection of snacks and drinks, and great home baked cakes/cookies. For their facebook page and updated opening times check https://www.facebook.com/naiaguesthouse/ Check out their reviews on tripadvisor
- Mochiart – Open daily from 7.30am-5pm, plus they’ll be open till 10pm doing antojitos on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings. They’re the newest addition to the food scene in El Cuyo and the coffee is yum… For more information, see their insta page https://www.instagram.com/stories/mca.elcuyo/
- Loncheria Willys – Open daily from 5-11pm. It’s on the left hand side on the main road as you’re entering town from the lagoon. Serves great panuchos and tortas.
- Pizzeria – Open daily from 5pm-12am. It serves pizzas and tacos to eat in or takeaway. In lobster season it does a speciality lobster pizza! I recommend the very thin and crispy base!
- Doña Marta Pescaderia – no standard opening times… Doña Marta sells great fresh fish to take away or you can eat on her terrace. She lives past the pizzeria and go along to the end of the street.
- El Amigo Omar – just off the main square. It’s open in the afternoons and evenings and is simple and very economical.
- Loncherie La Lupita – Open daily from 5-11pm. just off the main square on the main street into town, serving panuchos, sopas etc.