- Cancun airport to Cancun ADO bus station
- Cancun ADO bus station to Colonia Yucatan
- Colonia Yucatan to El Cuyo
- Remember that the time in Cancun in the winter months is 1 hour behind Yucatan (Colonia Yucatan and El Cuyo are in Yucatan – 6am in El Cuyo is 5am in Cancun). You get 1 extra hour when travelling to El Cuyo, and you lose it travelling back to Cancun.
- WINTER DAYLIGHT SAVING – 28th October 2018 to April 7th 2019.
- You need to leave Cancun airport by 14:45 to get the bus all the way (which will cost you less than $250 total).
- If you land into Cancun by 17:15, you can possibly get the 18:15 shuttle into Cancun and the 18:50 to Colonia Yucatan. There may be taxis at the sitio taxis so you can get a taxi to El Cuyo (approximately $200). The taxis are not guaranteed, so try get your accommodation to book you one.
Stage 1 – Cancun Airport to Cancun ADO Bus Station:
- The ADO bus stops are directly outside the airport and easy to find (look for ADO signs). You can buy tickets online if you want, but buses are frequent and you rarely have to wait long. There are places to buy tickets inside and outside the airport. I recommend you wait and buy your ticket on arrival – just make sure you have pesos as the ATM at the airport is unreliable.
- ADO do 2 buses from the airport: to Playa del Carmen OR to Cancun – make sure you get the bus to Cancun. Tickets are $86 pesos and leave approximately every half hour, starting at 08:15. After 00:00 the frequency changes to every 90 minutes and the last bus leaves at 03:00.
- It usually takes 30 minutes to get to the central Cancun ADO bus station.
- When you get off the bus, go into the terminal to buy your next bus ticket.
Stage 2 – Cancun ADO Bus Station to Colonia Yucatan (Tizimin):
- There are two bus companies (Mayab and Noreste) that stop at Colonia Yucatan with final destination Tizimin. Mayab and Noreste are the two ticket windows on your left as you enter the terminal.
- Make 100% sure your ticket is for Colonia Yucatan – it costs approximately $130 dependent on the type of bus.
- Colonia Yucatan is 2.5-3 hours into the journey, traffic dependent. Get off in Colonia at the main stop in the centre of town, opposite the Neveria Basulto, and near the taxi station.
Stage 3 – Colonia Yucatan to El Cuyo:
- The bus to El Cuyo stops in Colonia Yucatan at the same place you get off the Cancun bus (opposite the Neveria Basulto)
- Buses to El Cuyo take approximately 45 minutes
- If you arrive at Colonia and you’ve missed the last bus (18:30), there may be taxis available at the ‘Sitio de taxis’ in front of the bus stop. A one-way ride to El Cuyo costs approximately 200$.
There are big Noreste buses ($35-45) or small minivans ($40). Pay the driver direct.
A point of note regarding safety and clothing:
The return trip
STAGE 1: EL CUYO TO COLONIA YUCATAN
Buses for Colonia Yucatan leave from the corner of the centre square in El Cuyo.
Noreste buses go at: 05:10, 07:30, 08:45, 10:30, 13:30, 15:30
Minivans go at: 07:30, 09:00, 10:30, 12:00, 13:30, 15:00, 16:30, 18:00 – please note that the minivans wait until they have 9 people to run and therefore occasionally do not run or are delayed.
There are some additional buses that run, but we’ve only included those that run every single day.
These buses take approximately 45 minutes to arrive in Colonia Yucatan.
STAGE 2: COLONIA YUCATAN TO CANCUN
Buses leave from Colonia Yucatan to Cancun at 04:15, 06:00, 06:30, 10:30, 13:00, 16:45, 19:30 (you’ll need to get a taxi from El Cuyo for the 04:15 bus ).
Allow 3 hours for your Colonia-Cancun bus
STAGE 3: CANCUN BUS STATION TO CANCUN AIRPORT
You can check the ADO page for connecting shuttles to the airport. On busy holiday days, the road to the airport gets very busy so it’s always best to allow additional time. Remember you lose an hour with the time differences in winter.